Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2009




Eight years ago on this day, I was living in Atlanta and was drinking my last cup of coffee with Deborah before going over to open up my main store. The events of that morning were so shocking that 5 of my 7 employees called to ask if they should come to work since the twin towers had just been destroyed. I only remember telling them: "Heck yes, the worst thing you can do is let terrorists shut down the economy" It was a somber day, but it united the country, which is rare in a two-party political system. God had to have heard the millions of prayers that morning. . . .
This afternoon Deborah and I met at Radney Funeral Home to pay our respects to our fellow Kiwanian, George Givens, who's wifes mother passed away this week. Deb went back to work and I just continued down Dauphin St. to ART WALK 09. I stopped to have coffee at Spot Of Tea
at an outdoor table and ran into Sherrie Graham and Kathy Couey. And just to prove that you always meet people from Chickasaw, Ruby Thompson Moore (owner of Spot Of Tea) and her son Tony came out and sat down with us to talk about their big yearly reunion at the Civic Center in Chickasaw and how Ruby grew up on 7th Street and later Idlewood Drive. We sat for more than an hour discussing people we know and I got Ruby to promise to come to 2010 Smalltown Coming Home for Chickasaw next October. In fact she will be sending me her list of reunion friends, so we can invite them too.
Picture is me and Rainbow The Pretty Clown at the popular restaurant and some sculpture artwork.

1 comment: